Sunday, March 30, 2008

Week 9: Thing 20 Discover YouTube and a Few Sites

I finally finished this assignment. I knew it would be a bear since the school has blocked Youtube and my own computer shuts itself off at whim. I first explored sites that weren't blocked to the school and found that I could get everything offered on TeacherTube. There is a great little video for Rick Riordan's Olympian Series called "Camp Half-Blood". I love this series and I am always promoting it so I would definitely show this clip the next time I book talked The Lightning Thief.

Next I explored Youtube at home and found a fabulous clip for Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty It is at the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L93HOOy-lSc

It was from Teen Book Video Award Winners. There were also some interesting clips about banned books which would work well with a lesson I sometimes teach.

I have tried several times to down-load it to this blog but I thought I better get this posted since time is running out. I will try to get the clip in when I finish the rest of Week 9.

The drawbacks were of course the blocking of Youtube so I would have to see if I could have individual sites unblocked. The massive amounts of video clips and the time it took to buffer and download. On TeacherTube an ad page popped up before the video would start to download.

Overall, it was interesting and I am going to explore these sites more. This experience has also convinced me that I need either a more powerful computer or a weaker security program running in the background.

No comments: