Monday, February 11, 2008

Week 5: Play Week Things 10, 11, 12


The sites were fun and terrific. I have already shown "image generator" to one teacher who is doing a unit with her students that involves creating their own businesses and she is excited about using the logo maker and the cartoon maker for the advertising part of the unit. I have posted my own practice attempt with the cartoon maker and see multiple possiblities for using it- from making my own Dewey Decimal Signage to working with a poetry unit.

I haven't finished exploring the sites on the Web 2.0 awards list since each one is so good I want to check them all out. One of my favorites is onesentence.org where one can post the whole story of an event in one's life in one sentence. The lines are fascinating and as a former English teacher I immediately thought how this site could be used to teach writing hooks. I also found a site "Etsy.com" where people sell handmade items. One of our art teachers was in the library laminating and I showed her both this site and Flickr. She immediately wrote down the URLs and went back to her room to explore them in depth.

At first I was skeptical about Rollyo but when I finally got the grasp of it, I realized how useful it is. I have wanted to buy a all-in-one printer that would be compatible with my laptop when I used it wireless. I find that I can read through articles from all the major technology magazines on my subject using this tool. I am still experimenting with it.

My only complaint with this week's sites is that I need a lot more time. I would also like to add I am thinking of a way to circumvent the filter issues and maybe set up a blog about books that my students could access and contribute to.

No comments: