Sunday, February 3, 2008

Week 4: RSS & Newsreaders

This has been the most frustrating assignment. I started working on it ahead of time. Staying late at school and learning about feeds and bloglines. I decided to spend time Monday after school to attach a library blog to my site. Unfortunately, over the weekend a new filter was installed on the server and it is impossible to access any links to all the following assignments not just the RSS feeds on my school computer. I sent them to the head of the media office who explained that it would be impossible for him to unlock anything on my computer since it would then allow students to also access these sites which could lead them to forbidden sites.

What I did find out was that Bloglines were like a list of favorites put you didn't have to pull down a menu tab to find them. They can be listed right on one's own blog. This would be great for my husband who likes to start his day reading every major newspaper throughout the U.S.A.

However,at this point I am so frustrated! How do I expect to use these tools in a curriculum if it is impossible to access them ,when I am using them during a lesson? . Maybe the problem solving part of my brain is on shut down from this recent setback. I will continue to work on the assignment from my home computer but it is related to the family of turtles on t.v. -" The Slowvenskys".

No comments: